How to Choose a Furnace
We’ve been the trusted choice for Chicago area air furnace services for nearly 30 years.
How to Choose a Furnace
Look no further for your Chicagoland heating needs. We service and install HVAC throughout all of Chicagoland and Suburbs with office locations in Chicago and St. Charles. We offer competitive pricing with personal service. We are a family owned business serving homeowners for over 30 years, providing quick, reliable and honest service.
What do I need to know about a furnace?
Considerations when purchasing a furnace are cost, energy savings, efficiency, warranty, rebates, brand, size and type of furnace. Read on, we will simplify this for you to better understand and feel comfortable in your decision-making process.
Furnace cost varies depending on brand, size, efficiency and type
TDH Mechanical, Inc. is a Trane dealer. Trane provides great support for its products and a 10 year parts and labor warranty. We are so confident in the Trane brand that we exceed their warranty by 2 years, providing our customers 12 years parts and labor warranty on Trane products we install.
What size furnace do I need?
Your furnace size depends on the size of your home. We provide free on-site estimates to determine sizing.
80% or 95% efficient?
The benefits of a 95% (AFUE) furnace are the gas savings, incentive rebates by your local gas provider, lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and resale value.
An 80% (AFUE) efficient furnace will also provide gas savings from your old furnace, cost less than a 95% furnace, smaller rebates by your local gas provider and most offer a 20-year warranty for the heat exchanger. All furnaces have ECM motor as of 2019, this is a more durable motor. A heat exchanger is the main hub of a furnace, providing the heat, a furnace is built around the heat exchanger. The operation of each unit is different, an 80% furnace uses in air from the surrounding area (open combustion) and a 95% furnace uses in air from the outdoors though PVC pipes (sealed combustion).
The more efficient your furnace, the more gas you save!
Your current furnace location and venting options will help determine which efficiency you need. The cost difference between an 80% and 95% can be as low at $700.00 depending on brand of furnace.
What is a 1-stage, 2-stage, modulating and variable speed furnace?
- Stage refers to the burners and gas valve in the furnace.
- Variable refers to the furnace blower motor.
- A single-stage furnace only blows heat at 1 stage, full blast at its full capacity, regardless of outdoor temperatures with a non- variable blower motor. Higher energy cost.
- A two-stage furnace can blow heat on full blast speed or slow speed at 60% of its capacity, depending on outdoor temperatures, saving gas and energy. You have the option of non-variable and variable blower motor on 2-stage furnace.
- The cost difference between a one and two stage is approximately $500.00 depending on brand of furnace.
What are the benefits of a variable speed motor on a 2-stage furnace?
- The motor will speed up and slow down reacting to hot how or cold it is outside, automatically, controlling the flow of air into your home, evening out hot or cold spots.
- It can monitor and adjust settings to account for things in your home that restrict airflow such as dirty filters, ductwork and furnace location.
- When the furnace is off the motor can run constantly allowing circulation of the air in your home round the clock, which keeps more air flow through the filter removing bacteria and viruses.
- It will dehumidify your home better during the cooling season, as the motor continues to run after the cooling cycle, removing residual cooling off the evaporator coil and ringing out more humidity.
- The motor is quiet and durable, allowing 24-hour run time.
- Better home comfort.
Another major consideration when making your furnace choice is if you will be living in your home 5 or more years. It is worth the investment of a high efficient furnace if you will be! Remember high efficient furnaces have a lifetime heat exchanger warranty and will provide energy and gas savings over the life of the furnace.
We're Ready to Help!
Open Daily from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Call us to schedule an appointment!
This is some text about TDH Mechanical, and what we do. This isn’t real copy. This is some text about TDH Mechanical, and what we do. This isn’t real copy. TDH Mechanical.